Monday, August 23, 2004

Things start to get weird -Ian (18)

I never thought a dark alley in the middle of nowhere would be a welcome sight. But when you've actually been nowhere, well, anywhere seems good. I don't think anythings ever seemed as real as that brick. It felt good to be on solid ground.
I was relieved I'd gotten out ok. I was more scared than ever of what was coming up. I was a little ashamed of how I'd freaked out in there. I hoped Scarlett hadn't been in the other room. But I'm proud to say that none of these things were foremost in my mind. The main thought going through my mind is what I asked the man in the black suit when he appeared.
"How does it work?"
I have a very analytical mind, in a way. When I see something of interest, my first thought is usually whether or not I can dismantle it successfully. After the shock had worn down, this was no exception. Marcus, unfortunately, totally missed the point.
"You see whatever you least want to see," he answered matter-of-factly.
"I guessed that much," I said, a little irritated, "But how does it work? Does it read brainwave patterns? Did you use some kind of profiling to figure out what would be most effective against me? And for that matter, how do you generate the image? Holograms?"
"I haven't the faintest idea. Come on; we have a lot to do and we're late getting started"
"I've never seen anything like it," I said, all but ignoring him. I get like that when I see a new gadget; I think I was getting into it a little more than usual to cover up for how scared I was. "Why isn't that technology available anywhere else? Some kind of government cover-up or something?"
Marcus stopped and turned to look at me. "Kid, the reason you've never seen anything like it before," he paused a minute, as if trying to decide how much to tell me. Then he continued, "Is because it hasn't been invented yet. You'll find out more in a few minutes."
Well, that answer shut me up for a little while. Time travel has always fascinated me, mostly cause I liked paradoxes. And if what he'd just said was true, it went a ways toward solving one of my favorites.
"So your from the future?" I asked when he started moving again.
"Me?" he answered, "No. I was born in 1966, and I'm 38 years old. No more questions. You'll find out what you need to know at the meeting."
I little disappointed, I shut my mouth till we got to the right door. We opened it and walked into the meeting room.
"Welcome," said the woman sitting at the head of the table. I recognized her voice as the one that had led me out of the nothing. "I'm sorry you had to go through that. Chip has just informed me that the final member of our team will not be joining us at this time. Luckily, we have a replacement," She motioned to Scarlett.
"Now," she said, "Down to business,"

10 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger Nathaniel Cornstalk said...

That wasn't quite what I was planning to write, but oh well. Ball's in your court Evie, on with the meeting.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Ooh. I love where we're going with this. Nice chapter.
So, is Tyler out, or what?

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Ooh. I love where we're going with this. Nice chapter.
So, is Tyler out, or what?

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Evey said...

Thanks

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Nathaniel Cornstalk said...

Don't count on Tyler, but don't count him out either. He may join us later.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Evey said...

I'm sorry, I cant be finished by the end of today, but I will post as soon as I get back. Please dont skip me, I'll work on it during the 8 hur car ride, and if I spend all that time for nothing I'll be very mad.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Marten said...

we waited more than a week for erin, you're not getting skipped.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Evey said...

thanks. I think its going to be ok... and no, I'm not completely defining the mission. (you shouldnt trut this to me. I'm majorly screw it up).

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Marten said...

you know if you don't post before the end of september we're going to have to do something.

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Evey said...

yep, i know... I dont want it to die. Iwill try to get it up within the next seven days. I'm giving myself a deadline.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home