Saturday, August 07, 2004

The waiting game--Gillian (14)

I had been waiting for ten minutes, trying to convince myself to leave, when someone finally showed up. Two someones, in fact.
One was a woman was dressed completely in black, so I guessed she was with the guys that had talked to me. She smelled vaguely of smoke. She looked like she was in a hurry. She paused for a moment in the doorway to collect herself before entering. As she drew in a breath, it was like her face disappeared and was replaced by a mask. Very spooky. "I'm sorry I'm late," she told me, "I had to deal with technical difficulties concerning our mission."
As she spoke, the man standing next to her started shaking. Suddenly I recognized him. It took me a moment since he wasn't wearing black. "Are you one of the black suit guys?" I asked him.
He stopped laughing, his face suddenly smooth like the woman's. Again, very spooky. But cool too.
"Um, yes," he said hesitantly, "yes, I am."
I wanted to ask more questions, but before I could, another person arrived. The moment I saw her, I knew I would hate her.
She was the exact opposite of me. First, of all, she commanded attention the second she walked into the room. How could someone with right red hair down to their butt not attract attention? Plus, she was gorgeous. Like, supermodel gorgeous. I bet her life is perfect. I bet she doesn't spend Friday night sitting at home and watching Stargate on Sci-Fi. Oh no. She probably had a different date for every day of the week. Her Fridays were probably spent with Dave, the hunky football captain, seeing a movie. A horror movie, so that he could put her arm around her when the plot started to darken...
I was shaken out of my teen dreamworld by a hand being shoved into mine. I looked up and saw that it belonged to the red-headed girl. "Hi!" she said, in an entirely too upbeat voice, "My name is Scarlett! What's yours?"
I just stared at her thinking, 'Don't you have better things to do? You have the whole world in the palm of your hand, why do you have to come and shove it in my face?'
The woman in the black suit came to my rescue. "This is Gillian Tailor. She will be joining us on the mission."
When the woman mentioned the mission, Scarlett was suddenly very alert. "So," she said, turning on the woman and using a voice she probably stole from CSI, "What's this mission all about anyways? Why wouldn't you tell us before?"
The woman in black looked very uncomfortable behind her mask. "W-well... You see..." She tried again, "You will be told when you need to know."
"What if I need to know now?" Scarlett asked.
"The you wait." the woman told her.
"Listen," Scarlett told her, I think tha-"
Slam.
We all looked around to see where the noise had come from. "Oh shit," said the woman, dropping her mask, "Ian came in the wrong door."

2 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Cool chapter!
Hey, did Gillian's last name change?

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Evey said...

uh oh... did it? I didn't think she had a last name yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home