Sunday, July 16, 2006

Transdimensional Physics 101 - Ian - 47

My brain hurt. A lot. Having what must be four or five years of Quantum physics crammed in to your brain in less than six hours can do that to you. Marcus wasn't helping - he seemed to vacilate between thinking I knew nothing and thinking I knew everything, while all the while expecting me to come up with a brilliant solution to a problem I never understood in the first place.
After an exhausting conversation with Marcus, I managed to figure out, in a very basic way, what had just happened. This involved basically learning a new type of physics, but maybe that's why I was chosen - I'm a very quick study. As Greg explained to me much later, scientists are hardly ever recruited because they're to close-minded; learning transdimensional physics involves an unlearning of tradional physics which most of them can't deal with. So don't think to much about this, and I'm gonna try and explain it to you without bogging down the story too much (God knows it's been bogged down enough already.)
First, let's go over the basics of dimensional travel. Imagine, if you will, a grid. No, scratch that, imagine a waffle. Only, more like a stack of waffles, that is to say, a three dimensional grid, made of intersecting planes. All the parrallel planes are parralell universes, and all planes facing other directions are whats called perpendicular universes. Easy, right? Except now imagine the perpendicular planes are actually irregularly shaped, flat objects, like puzzle pieces, and which parrallels they connect are almost random, and they intersect at random angles, and they frequently have large wholes in them. What you have is nothing at all like the shape of the multiverse, but it will do for now.
So imagine we are on one of the planes, and we want to get to one of the puzzle pieces. We have to travel to a specific point on the plane to get to a specific puzzles piece. So how does a gate in a fixed location access so many different perps?
It uses a buffer dimensions. Buffer dimensions are kind of like shadows of reality, dimensional echoes that exist around every dimension. The gate actually takes you to the buffer, from which it takes a fraction of a second to jump to any connected perp. I don't know how this works either, and what I do know would take a week to explain, so just take it and run with it.
So during that split second we were in the buffer, Virgil somehow diverted us to another perp. Because of this, the ship remained in the buffer for a few seconds too long. This caused the ship, and everyone in it, to destabilize.
Again, I need to digress. All matter contains a three-part subatomic signature so dep within each subatomic particle it it is almost impossible to detect. These signatures can immediately be used to identify the native dimension, time, and basic geographical location of an object. These are called planar, temporal, and spacial frequencies, respectively. There is also a fourth signature which only appears in living things. Many scientists specualte it changes with a persons feelings, but all they know for sure is that it's in a constant state of flux. This is called the psycholinear frequency.
Confused yet? Imagine how I felt. Hold on, though, we're almost done. So we're in the buffer dimension, Virgil somehow changes course, and suddenly we destabilize. Normally when a creature or object becomes destabilized, it's four frequencies ensure that it restabilizes as soon as it exits the buffer, as each particle seeks out those with similar frequencies. Since everyone on board (As far as I knew at the time) had the same temporal and planar signatures and incredibly similar geographical signatures (one planet is nothing, from a universal prospective,) It is the psycholinear frequency which we relied on to restabilize us. Gillian and Gregs psychloinear frequencies had, for one reason or another, at that moment been very, very similar. Atoms didn't know where to go. So they formed into Grillian.
If your mind is analytical like mine, you're probably asking - where did all the extra matter go? How do two normal sized people become one normal sized person? Where, in short, was "Geg"?

13 Comments:

At 4:44 AM, Blogger Nathaniel Cornstalk said...

Evie, Jonah, you know what you have to do.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Marten said...

It's in Z-Space. And you didn't read my post! I said Virgil jumped them mid perp, so we're in a parallel, not a different per. You already had this post planned before I even wrote mine, didn't you? Very nice crazy science, though. Well written, just I think the bogging down the story bit was a little out of character...

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Jonah Comstock said...

This is getting ridiculous.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Nathaniel Cornstalk said...

No, I didn't have it completely planned out. The crazy science was an attempt to make sense of the last few posts, but it obviously failed. The line about getting about of the doom perp "before we entered it" threw me off.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Marten said...

Found it, it is a little inconsistant, I was following the last thing said in erin's last post:



"Not important. The facts are that I was trying to get us out of the doom perp before we entered it, and I'm not sure what exactly happened."....bunch of stuff...
"You bastard. You jumped us mid-perp, Virgil."

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Nathaniel Cornstalk said...

Well, the fact is no one knows exactly what's going on, so what Marcus told Ian might be wrong, as might Ellen's assumption.

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Marten said...

So, the next post aught to determine whether we are in a perp or a parallel, depending on which analysis of the situation is correct.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Evey said...

no pressure, right?

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Jonah Comstock said...

Is our premise that this is like a compilation of diary or log entries or something?

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Marten said...

I didn't know we had a premise. Do first-person narratives have to have one?

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Erin said...

If I remember correctly, this is a retrospective. Because it started with Ian saying something along the lines of "Let me explain what happened..."
To which, let me add: ha ha, I'm not next.

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Evey said...

yeah, yeah. I'm working on it. But, unless you have forgotten, I am boring and uncreative, so figuring out what I'm writing is HARD. For me.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger The Jon of (Dis)truction said...

when shall the madness continue? I'm on the edge of my seat with anticipation!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home